In 1941, women in the area were encouraged to apply for special Emergency War Classes being offered by the Kemptville Board of Education. But, unlike many classes offered to women at the time, these were not in domestic subjects. The young women were being trained in the use of precision instruments and gun inspection procedures. These involved learning to use Vernier and Micrometer Calipers, capable of measuring to the 10,000ths of an inch. The women studied blueprints, Math and Physics, and were assigned to various locations across the country after graduation.
The classes too place in the Science lab at the Kemptville Composite School (later the High School), and were presented by two school staff members, Mr. Briggs and Mr. McKay, who had themselves received instruction at the War Arsenal during their Christmas vacation. The war was bringing many changes to the role of women in Kemptville.