submitted by Marie Traynor RD, MSc, Registered Dietitian and Public Health Nutritionist
Leeds Grenville and Lanark District Health Unit
Garden cleanup may be underway and much of the harvest freezing and canning is done but for those ‘would be’ or ‘hard core’ gardeners, some garden-related tasks and talk will continue right through the winter. Here are some examples:
- Watch windowsill herb gardens grow and use them in your favourite recipes.
- Check with your local library branch to see if they maintain a seed collection which is available to the public.
- Clean and fix gardening tools.
- Keep a gardening journal with what worked well this past season and plans for next season.
- Look for community gardens and seed exchange events near you in the Food Inventory at foodcoreLGL.ca.
- And, if you live in the north end of Brockville, consider joining the new Dana St. garden. Call 1-800-660-5853 and ask for extension 2219 or email [email protected].